Dear President Trump:
Since then many of us have watched in horror as all our predictions of your demise didn’t happen. We’ve believed all along that your success in turning this presidential election into a reality program reflected the worst of who we are as Americans.
And yes, we’ve recognized that large numbers of us have found the American dream out of reach, but we believe the cause isn’t immigrants or President Obama but the greed exhibited by you and the other other 1%.
And so we’re going to keep score. Today, the first day of your administration, we’re marking where we are. I begin with an excellent article on National Public Radio.
So here goes:
- The Dow Jones average is 19,732.40 (Wall Street Journal)
- The NASDAQ is 5540.08 (again the Wall Street Journal)
- The S&P 500 is 2263.69 (Wall Street Journal)
- The current unemployment rate is 4.7% (The Bureau of Labor Statistic)
- There are currently 123,570,000 people employed (Statistica.com)
- Currently 38% of Americans have a positive view of you (NBC/Wall Street Journal poll)
- The current federal deficit stands at $590 billion (Congressional Budget Office)
- The national debt stands just under $20 trillion (U.S. Debt Clock)
- Currently 11% of Americans do not have health insurance (Gallup)
If you follow your playbook up to now you’ll blame your troubles on “fake news” or nearly anyone other than yourself. But here’s the problem: after winning America’s ultimate reality show, you now have to govern.
But the clock starts now and you can’t deny these numbers.
The American People