I’m writing this 3 1/2 hours after the polls have closed in Florida. This only matters to the Republicans as the Democratic primary doesn’t count (Florida, like Michigan, pushed their primary up so soon that the Democratic Party is refusing to seat their delegates. Hillary won the most votes in the primary but it really doesn’t matter in the all-important delegate chase. In the Republican primary John McCain edged out Mitt Romney and won all 57 delegates in the winner take all contest. I’ve updated the delegate count on the left side the page. It’s assumed that Rudy Giuliani will drop out of the race but he hasn’t conceded on his web page and I’ll wait for that.
I don’t normally watch the CBS Evening News but we had it on tonight and Katie Couric did an interesting story. She asked this question of each of the candidates: “If you were elected president, what is the one book other than the Bible you would think is essential to have along?” Here is how they answered (I have included only the book title and author, and not their explanations; also, I put them in the same order as Katie):
- John McCain: Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
- Barack Obama: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Mitt Romney: John Adams by David McCollough
- Mike Huckabee: Whatever Happened to the Human Race by Francis Schaefer
- John Edwards: The Trial of Socrates by I.F. Stone
- Hillary Clinton: The Federalist Papers
- Rudy Giuliani: The Federalist Papers
Of the 6 books listed, I’ve only fully read two: Team of Rivals and John Adams but The Federalist Papers is on my list.